Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Araceli y Ivan

I have a powerhouse of a host mom. This family has done so much to make me feel welcome in their home and they continually tell me that this is my home too. But, there are some days over lunch I get into a great conversation with Araceli and I learn more and more about her and I really begin to feel like family. She works full time instructing a specific type of massage class, the name of which I still have yet to learn how to spell, at a studio that she owns with two other women. She cares for a severely disabled 22-year-old son who needs constant care. She is the president of a local association that represents the disabled. She cares for her mother who lives here on the weekends. She hosts two American women every semester. And she does all the laundry, cleaning and most of the cooking for the whole crowd of us.

Today over lunch we got into a discussion about religion and though I’m usually very vocal on the subject I find it a bit more difficult in a foreign language (I know, big surprise). So we were talking about the idea of believing in something bigger and how most people are searching for something and she said the most profound thing I’ve heard in a long time. Araceli told us that she’s convinced that her disabled son Ivan is her greatest teacher. If you could meet Ivan you would begin to understand what she means. Ivan is unable to talk or make eye contact and is completely dependent on his family for all of his physical needs but when you talk to him, especially in another language, and he will give you the biggest, most beautiful smile. As Araceli said he has housed in his crippled body the more pure, kind spirit completely devoid of hate, envy or any other malicious sentiments. He’s just happy.

Despite all of the cultural differences it nice to see another family that is as devoted and loving as mine at home. How incredible to be living with another incredible family on the other side of the world.

Pull an Anna and give someone a hug today.
besos

No comments: