Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cadiz


This has been a whirlwind of a week. Our IES classes started Monday and though there is very little homework so far and I have nice big breaks between classes it been exhausting to adjust back to a school schedule. It’s so strange to still not really have a routine, but I’m getting there.

My roommate and I made a short trip to Cadiz this weekend for part of the annual carnival. It’s one of those Spanish events that everyone talks about and we were curious so we took a bus and we just got back this afternoon. Cadiz is a small city that is essentially surrounded by the Mediterranean, so the view was incredible, but it was very windy. We had a great time, saw a few parades, met some people, listened to some live music, ate good food (including probably one of the best hamburgers I’ve ever had) and saw probably thousands of people in costumes.

It’s still so hard for me to believe that I’m actually here. Everywhere I go I’m surrounded by an incredible amount of beauty, history and culture, and the ride back from Cadiz was phenomenal. This promises to be another incredible week, I’ll be going to a play at the local theater with my Spanish lit/theater class and going to a flamenco show with my flamenco class, and then there’s the fact that I’m in Spain. Anyway, I have homework and my bed is just screaming my name, but I’ll call/write soon.

I just read a story about Sea Turtle, Inc. in the island's paper online. Call me crazy, but this sort of thing makes me feel so intensely emotional. What a joy to have discovered such a passion at 20 years old, I can't wait to get back.
http://spislandbreeze.com/news_more.php?id=3952_0_2_10_M

bss

No comments: