Wednesday, February 20, 2008

no pasa nada

Today has been interminable, but I’m trying to take it all in stride. After all, when in Spain…

So far I’m really enjoying being in classes and despite the fact that I manage to be wake up barely in time to leave from my morning Spanish grammar class I’m enjoying that one too. I have a fabulous Spanish teacher who has her phD in comparative languages or something like that and she is absolutely vivacious in the classroom. Right before lunch today I had flamenco at our instructor’s dance studio in the center of the city. As it turns out flamenco is incredibly difficult and I find myself concentrating very hard to move my feet, hands, hips and head all at the same time. But, we are very, very slowly learning the choreography to the dance we have to perform for the IES group in May and it’s fulfilling to see the class, and myself, progressing.

So, tonight was my first class at the University of Granada. The facultad where my class is in an area of the city called Cartuja, which is probably a 30 minute walk so to ensure that I would get there on time I took the bus that goes between the plaza next to my apartment and the university. Granada is in the driest area in all of Spain and I even think of all Europe and of course my first day at the university is also the first day in months that it’s actually raining, so I’m standing there at the bus stop with my umbrella in rain soaked shoes trying not to look overwhelmingly lost, nervous and American. Ay. Anyway, I catch the bus actually manage to get off at the right stop on the first try (I know that sounds ridiculous, but anyone who really knows me understands my TOTAL lack of a sense of direction) and ask around till I find my classroom. I sat outside the room reading and really feeling rather proud, until five minutes before my class when the room still wasn’t open. When I actually looked at the door I realized there was a note on the door saying that my class had been moved, but of course there was only a floor number, not a room number. So, in a panic I go around trying to ask people if they know where the new room is and because I know nothing about the class other than the name of the class (education and the environment) and the room number no one can actually help me. I called the woman who coordinates university classes for IES and she basically told me lots of students don’t actually go to class the first day and that it’s not a big deal. In my American mind set missing the first day of class is horrendous and rather unforgivable, but when in Spain…. One of the most popular Granadino phrases is “No pasa nada”, which essentially means it’s not a big deal. I left my facultad and wandered for about an hour until I found a familiar area so I could walk home, the whole time reminding myself “no pasa nada”. In moments like these I learn so much about Spanish culture, the American culture and myself. I was so overwhelmed, frustrated, stressed, worried, but to no real end. With a few exceptions, like waiting in line, Spaniards seem to be way more relaxed about life. We went to a flamenco show on Saturday in a theater with a beautiful view of the Alhambra and the show started about 45 minutes late and I still don’t know why. They even walk more casually down the street, so why should I be so uptight about things? I’m learning to let it go, it’s all about perspective.

Things have been very busy lately even though I have huge breaks between classes and very, very little homework. Our theater class went to see a production of En Nomeni Dei (a horrendous production, but another experience none the less), my flamenco class went to a performance by a 17 year old dancer, Saturday I talked for a long time to my abuela about her experience living in Morocco, I went for tapas with my roommate and some of our Spanish friends, I “translated” American rap for my host brother, I had a long talk about Spanish men with my host mom and her best friend, talked with 14 year old Pablo one of my host dad’s painting students. There’s a lot to keep me occupied. So much that it’s already filled a month. I hate ticking off the days because there is so much to experience here.

I learn so much every day and I try to do everything, experience everything, but it’s exhausting. I think my favorite part of being here is making friends and talking with native speakers. Sometimes I’m amazed because I find myself responding in Spanish without really thinking about what I’m saying. It’s a slow process, but I’m getting there.

bss

No comments: